Emeka Adolf Chigozie Emekesri Esq is a tripartite professional trained in both secular and sacred studies,in science and Arts,Law,Theology,Estate Management,Planning and Environmental Studies.Along with his professional practice, he is the presiding Bishop of a Charismatic Pentecostal Church known as Christ The Rock Community and operates the gospel ministry in the pattern of the Apostle Paul who laboured with his own hands to feed himself as well as preach the gospel without motive of financial gains.
Bar Emeka is the Solicitor for Indigenous People of Biafra as well as the Legal Adviser,Supreme Council of Elders Of Indigenous People of Biafra.He is the Lead Council to the case between the Indigenous People of Biafra and Federal Republic of Nigeria & The Attorney –General of the Federation with Suit No FHC/OW/CS/192/2013 at Federal High Court ,Owerri,Imo State.He is the Man behind Mekadolf Chamber that hosted all Biafran Activists at Royal Palace Hotel on 30th March,2019.He used the event to launch the establishment of Customary Government of Biafra that would regulate the activities of Biafra quest for self governance whether within Nigeria or outside Nigeria.In his opening speech,Barr Emeka Emekesiri informed Biafran Activists that the world is waiting for the people of Biafra to organize themselves and come forward for recognition.Read the details
”I give honour to all the Biafran veterans who fought the war of independence from 1967 to 1970 but gave up the fight of arms and ammunition when it became necessary to do so, knowing that the next phase of the war would be a battle of wits and intelligence. General Ojukwu said in 1970 that the battlefield had changed. I quote his words precisely when he prophesied as follows:
“As a people we have endured as only giants endure. We have fought as heroes fight. We have dared as only gods dare. We are disillusioned by the world’s insensitivity to the plight of our people. Yet because our cause is just we believe we have not lost the war, only that the battlefield has changed. We are convinced that Biafra will survive. Biafra was born out of the blood of innocents slaughtered in Nigeria during the pogroms of 1966. Biafra will ever live, not as a dream but as the crystallization of the cherished hopes of a people who see in the establishment of this territory a last hope for peace and security. Biafra cannot be destroyed by mere force of arms.”
– General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu
I want to emphasise his words of prophecy: “Yet because our cause is just we believe we have not lost the war, only that the battlefield has changed. We are convinced that Biafra will survive”. Yes, indeed, the war has continued but the battlefield has changed. Biafra will surely survive but by due process. It is with great joy that we announce that most of the Biafran veterans who fought the war are still with us today in the struggle for independence by legal methodology. They shall be duly recognised in this event.
2. I give honour to the Biafran Elders and Biafran activists who understood that the battlefield has changed from the violent military methodology to legal methodology and political diplomacy. To this end, I give special honour to His Royal Majesty, His Lordship, the Honourable Justice Dr Eze Ozobu OFR, retired Chief Judge of Enugu State, who is the current Chairman of the Supreme Council of Elders of Indigenous People of Biafra. I give honour to the Late Dr Dozie Ikedife, OON, JP, D.Sc., FRCOG, the former Deputy Chairman who invited me and confided in me in the last hours of his life on earth and signed the necessary documents 72 hours before his death for the Biafran Struggle to move forward in his absence on the proper foundation. I give honour to the Late Brig Gen Joe Achuzia, Late Chief Barr Debe Odumegwu Ojukwu, and all other Biafran Elders and Biafran activists who have continued in the struggle for self-determination by legal methodology.
. ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CUSTOMARY GOVERNMENT BY DEED POLL
NOW KNOW YE ALL MEN by this Deed Poll that the Customary Government known as Customary Government of Indigenous People of Biafra (hereinafter called The Customary Government of Biafra) is hereby created and constituted for the Biafrans under Customary Law, Human Rights Law, National and International Law, Private Law and Contract Law by Mekadolf Chambers, Solicitors for the remnants of the Biafrans described as Indigenous People of Biafra, to organize and manage them as they agitate for their right to self-determination and have freely and willingly submitted to the Customary Government in pursuance whereof they instituted the action in Suit No FHC/OW/CS/192/2013 against the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Attorney General of the Federation as Indigenous People of Biafra in a representative capacity by Bilie Human Rights Initiative governed under their native laws and customs by the Supreme Council of Elders pursuant to Section 315 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 and regulated in the manner hereinafter appearing with full powers and authority to operate under Customary Law, National and International Law, Case Law, Contract Law and Private Law enforceable by the Judiciary in all nations of the world where the Biafrans reside.
- The Customary Government of Biafra may simply be described as the Customary Government whether the word “Biafra” is included or not and any such reference to the Customary Government by anybody whether orally or in writing shall be construed as referring to the Customary Government of Biafra.
- The vision bearer of the legal methodology of self-determination, Emeka Emekesiri, Esq., Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, Solicitor of England & Wales, is hereby appointed by consensus as the Chairman of the IPOB Biafra Project and the spokesman for the Customary Government and the Supreme Council of Elders with the power to supervise and manage the Biafrans and ensure discipline, decorum, controls, checks and balances, orderliness and decency in their quest for self-determination.
- The Policy Statements and Orders of the Customary Government of Indigenous People of Biafra, Vol. 1, 2014; and the Administrative Guidelines of the Customary Government dated 22 February 2016, and any amendments of the same in the future; and all the Directives and Resolutions made or to be made by the Supreme Council of Elders or by the National Administrator of the Customary Government or by the Chairman of the IPOB Biafra Project, are hereby incorporated into this Deed Poll.
- This Deed Poll is subject to amendment by 75% majority votes of the Biafrans shown in the Biafran Database and constitutes a multilateral contractual legal instrument similar to a multilateral treaty for all Biafrans and pro-Biafra Groups in the world and shall take effect and become binding on the parties by the process of accession or ratification upon the deposit of the original copy of the instrument of 9
accession or instrument of ratification with the Office of the National Administrator of the Customary Government in the country where they reside who shall forward the same to Mekadolf Chambers for stamp duties and registration.
- POLITICAL MOVEMENT CREATED FOR THE BIAFRANS
- By this DEED POLL, the political movement known as MOVEMENT OF BIAFRANS IN NIGERIA (MOBIN) is hereby created as the political and civil rights movement of all Indigenous People of Biafra who believe in the legal methodology of self-determination consisting of judicial, political and diplomatic processes in pursuance whereof MOBIN is given the power to do the following things:
(1) To mobilize all Biafrans into politics both at national and international levels and impart to them sound political education and awareness of their civic rights and obligations.
(2) To act as a political watchman for the Biafrans and ensure that stooges and political jobbers are not imposed on them by their political opponents but only the candidates duly nominated and elected by the Biafrans are allowed to govern in all parts of Biafraland.
(3) To maintain a register of membership as an organization serving the political interest of all Indigenous People of Biafra and manage the organization as a separate entity different from the body known as INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF BIAFRA.
(4) To take over the political structures in all parts of Biafraland and advocate for the self-determination of Indigenous People of Biafra by due process of law commencing with a Regional Government for the Biafrans to govern themselves within Nigeria just like Scotland governs itself within Britain until they achieve outright independence from Nigeria.
(5) To operate as a political agency for all Indigenous People of Biafra or for any registered Political Party without prejudice to the right of individual members to belong to any political party of their choice.
(6) To operate fully and freely as a political and civil rights movement or transform itself into a registered political party when necessary and engage in all other lawful activities necessary for the fulfilment of its aims and objectives in the struggle for self-determination of the Biafrans.
- POWERS OF THE CUSTOMARY GOVERNMENT OF BIAFRA:
- The Customary Government of Biafra is hereby created in all nations of the world for the Biafrans pursuant to the rules of multilateral customary international law, domestic law, private law, and contract law and given the power to do the following things under the guidance and regulation of the Supreme Council of Elders and the Chairman of the IPOB Biafra Project: 10
(1) The body known as Supreme Council of Elders is hereby formally created and shall function as a Supreme Court for all Indigenous People of Biafra under Native Laws and Customs and shall make its own rules of court.
(2) The Customary Government shall have national administrators in all nations of the world where the Biafrans reside and shall organize, manage and control the affairs of all the remnants of the Biafrans known as Indigenous People of Biafra being the claimants in Suit No FHC/OW/CS/192/2013 currently pending in the Federal High Court of Nigeria.
(3) The Customary Government shall convene and organize IPOB Town Hall Meetings every month for all Indigenous People of Biafra wherever they reside in all parts of the world.
(4) Pursuant to the power conferred by Clause D25(3) above, the Customary Government shall appoint customary ambassadors in all foreign countries and present them for recognition to the governments of the countries where they reside and shall establish diplomatic relationships with the governments of those countries. Consequently, the Administrator of the Customary Government in Nigeria shall be presented to the Nigerian Government for recognition as the national administrator for the Biafrans living in Nigeria.
(5) The customary ambassadors shall act as the National Administrators of the Customary Government in the foreign countries where they operate but the headquarters of the Customary Government shall remain in Biafraland.
(6) The Customary Government is hereby given the power to make its administrative laws by way of policies and directives for the governance of the remnants of Biafra heretofore called Indigenous People of Biafra.
(7) The native arbitration court known as Customary Arbitration Tribunal (CAT) is hereby created in all nations of the world by the Customary Government for the Biafrans as an internal dispute resolution mechanism without prejudice to their right to seek redress in civil courts subject to the arbitration clause contained herein and shall be managed by lawyers and experts in customary law and arbitration under the supervisory oversight and guidance of the Traditional Rulers and Elders of Biafraland who are members of the Supreme Council of Elders.
(8) The Customary Arbitration Tribunal shall have jurisdiction by consent of the parties who submit to its authority and its decision shall be binding on the parties and enforceable as an arbitration award by the High Court in the territory or region where the CAT is located in consequence whereof the decision of the CAT shall constitute res judicata in all courts of law but with right of appeal to the High Court within the jurisdiction whether in Nigeria or outside Nigeria.
(9) All Indigenous People of Biafra who submit to the authority of the Customary Government are under an obligation to submit to the Customary 11
Arbitration Tribunal before taking their cases to the civil courts in Nigeria or in any other country where they reside. Any failure to submit to arbitration by CAT shall render the remedy obtained from the civil courts unenforceable. Consequently, this arbitration clause shall constitute a bar and defence to legal actions between Biafrans in civil courts in Nigeria and in foreign countries.
(10) For the purposes of managing the affairs of the Biafrans in all parts of the world, the national executive council (NEC) created under Clause B1 of the Administrative Guidelines of the Customary Government dated 22 February 2016 is hereby dissolved as the NEC has remained non-functional and redundant from its inception.
(11) The body known as the IPOB GOVERNING COUNCIL (IGC) is hereby created as the governing authority for all Indigenous People of Biafra. The persons who shall constitute the IPOB GOVERNING COUNCIL in the whole world are as follows:
(a) All Members of the Supreme Council of Elders as reconstituted.
(b) The Chairman of the IPOB Biafra Project
(c) All National Administrators of the Customary Government
(d) All Customary Government Ambassadors in all nations
(e) The Chairmen of the CAT in all nations
(f) Two Representatives of all pro-Biafra Groups and socio-cultural Groups recognized by the Customary Government.
(12) For the avoidance of doubt, the two human rights organizations called Bilie Human Rights Initiative registered in Nigeria as No 45276 and Bilie Human Rights Initiative Trading as Bilie for Biafra registered as a charity in the United Kingdom as No 1172869 are not pro-Biafra groups but human rights organizations which are not permitted by law to engage in politics and governance.
(13) The Customary Government is hereby given the power of fundraising and shall, either by direct labour or agents, contractors or consultants, demand and collect from all Indigenous People of Biafra who accept and submit to the multilateral contract created by this Deed Poll the customary dues or levies called “utu-isi” or “egwe” in Igbo Language in consequence whereof the obligation created herein shall be contractual and not statutory.
(14) The value of the customary dues or levies (utu-isi or egwe) shall be decided by the Supreme Council of Elders in consultation with legal practitioners who are experts in Customary Law or by the General Assembly of the Biafrans who believe in the legal methodology as convened by the chairman and vision bearer and shall be levied in accordance with the peoples’ ability to pay taking into consideration the differences in the income-earning abilities of the Biafrans who live at home and those who live abroad. 12
(15) A trust fund known as Indigenous Peoples Trust Fund (IPTF) is hereby created for the purpose of holding and administering the customary dues or levies generated for the Biafra Project. The trustees of the IPTF must be men and women of proven integrity drawn from regulated professions in Nigeria or outside Nigeria with practising certificates capable of being withdrawn or cancelled by their professional bodies for criminal and dishonest indictments. The number of the trustees shall be determined by the chairman of the IPOB Biafra Project.
(16) The agents or consultants appointed to carry out the fundraising activities or works shall be paid an agreed percentage of the funds they generate but not exceeding 30% deductible at source before paying the balance to the IPTF. Where it is not possible to find some external agents or consultants to do the fundraising works, the chairman or any officer of the Customary Government or Movement of Biafrans in Nigeria or Bilie Human Rights Initiative who has the expertise and competence can do the work as a consultant and be paid in accordance with this Clause in consequence whereof the doctrine of conflict of interest is hereby expressly excluded.
(17) The Customary Government shall employ and remunerate its staff and officers. All the officers of the Customary Government including the Council of Elders shall be paid salaries or wages or allowances (as the case may be) just like all workers in all nations are paid by their Governments.
- RECOGNITION OF ALL BIAFRAN GROUPS
- By this DEED POLL every Biafran group, socio-cultural group or socio-political group agitating for the independence of Biafra shall be recognized by the Customary Government and issued with a Certificate of Recognition signed by the Chairman or an authorised officer delegated by the Chairman to sign on his behalf, provided the Group satisfies the following conditions:
(i) The Group is properly organized as a body of persons agitating for the independence of Biafra whether corporate or non-corporate and has a membership register with identifiable members; and
(ii) The members of the Group believe and accept the vision of self-determination by legal methodology consisting of the judicial, political and diplomatic processes under the Customary Government headed by the Supreme Council of Elders; and
(iii) The members of the Group pay their customary dues and levies (utu-isi or egwe ) to the Customary Government as and when due; and
(iv) The members of the Group believe in the due process of law for self-determination and shall remain obedient and loyal to the Customary Government and the Supreme Council of Elders; and
(v) The members of the Group submit to the authority of the Supreme
Council of Elders and the Customary Government for disciplinary measures and sanctions against them for any misbehaviour.
- For the purpose of Clause 26 above, any Biafran Group recognized by the Customary Government and issued with a Certificate of Recognition shall present two members of the Group to the Supreme Council of Elders for appointment into the service of the Customary Government and the two people so appointed shall represent their Group in the IPOB Governing Council.
- Upon the recognition of the Biafran Group, the Solicitors for the Customary Government shall send the name of the Group to all the relevant Government Authorities and Security Agencies for their protection under the law and shall defend and protect their rights and interests at all levels provided they remain obedient and loyal to the Supreme Council of Elders and the Customary Government in pursuance whereof the Customary Government shall bear all the Solicitors’ legal expenses.
- Where the Customary Government fails to provide the funds for legal expenses to defend the members of any recognised Biafran Group, there shall be no liability on the Solicitors and the Law Chambers for the failure to defend and protect them.
- The Certificate of Recognition granted by the Customary Government to a Biafran Group shall be revoked and the names of their members struck off in the following circumstances:
(i) If the Biafran Group fails to organize and discipline its members and ensure orderliness, decency and decorum; or
(ii) If the members of the Biafran Group fail to pay their customary dues and levies; or
(iii) If the Biafran Group engages in any activity that contradicts the vision of self-determination by due process and legal methodology; or
(iv) If in the opinion of the Chairman or in the opinion of the IPOB Governing Council it becomes necessary to revoke the Certificate of Recognition in the national interest of the Biafrans.
(v) Any group which is struck off upon the revocation of its Certificate of Recognition may be readmitted and restored after two years if it satisfies the conditions prescribed by the IPOB Governing Council.
- RECOGNITION OF INDIVIDUAL BIAFRAN ACTIVISTS:
- By this DEED POLL every individual Biafran who believes in and identifies with the Biafra Struggle for independence (whether he belongs to a pro-Biafra Group or not) shall be recognized by the Customary Government and issued with a Certificate of Indigenous National Identity signed by the Chairman or an 14
authorised officer delegated by the Chairman to sign on his behalf, provided the person satisfies the following conditions:
(i) The person belongs to and attends the Town Hall Meeting of the Customary Government and his name is contained in the Biafran Database.
(ii) The person believes and accept the vision of self-determination by legal methodology consisting of the judicial, political and diplomatic processes under the Customary Government headed by the Supreme Council of Elders; and
(iii) The person pays his customary dues and levies (utu-isi or egwe ) to the Customary Government as and when due; and
(iv) The person believes in the due process of law for self-determination and shall remain obedient and loyal to the Customary Government and the Supreme Council of Elders; and
(v) The person submits to the authority of the Supreme Council of Elders and the Customary Government for disciplinary measures and sanctions against him for any misbehaviour.
- ACCESSION AND RATIFICATION:
- This Deed Poll shall be open for accession and ratification as a multilateral contractual legal instrument 21 days after its execution by Mekadolf Chambers with the seal issued by the Nigerian Bar Association and witnessed by the leaders and representatives of the people for whom it is made.
- Any Biafran Group which wants to accede to or ratify the Deed Poll shall do so by the legal instrument of accession or legal instrument of ratification in its corporate name if a corporate body or in a representative capacity if a non-corporate body provided that in either case the signature of the authorised person of the corporate body or principal officer of the non-corporate body is duly witnessed by a person in professional standing such as a solicitor, commissioner for oaths, justice of peace, accountant, doctor, minister of religion or a civil servant not below grade level 10.
- For the purpose of accession or ratification of this Deed Poll, every legal instrument of accession or instrument of ratification shall be made by Deed under the hand and seal of the authorised signatory or signatories duly witnessed as stated in Clause 33 above and attested for due execution by a Commissioner for Oath or Notary Public. 15
- Upon the deposit of the instrument of accession or instrument of ratification with the Solicitors for the Customary Government by a Biafran Group, all members of the Group shall become automatically recognized by the Supreme Council of Elders and the Customary Government of Biafra and shall become bound by this Deed Poll and all the Policy Statements and Orders and Administrative Guidelines of the Supreme Council of Elders and the Customary Government.
G OFFICIAL RECOGNITION OF THE CUSTOMARY GOVERNMENT
- The Solicitors for the Customary Government shall prepare the necessary legal instruments and present to the Nigerian Government and other sovereign nations with seats in the United Nations for the recognition of the Customary Government of Biafra as the official organ that controls and manages the affairs of the remnants of Biafra.
- For the purposes of the duty in Clause 36 above, the Solicitors shall forward the names of the accredited members of the Supreme Council of Elders and the Officers of the Customary Government to the Nigerian Government and to the Governments of other sovereign nations for recognition as the leaders of the Biafrans in the interim.
- PROTECTION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS:
- This Deed Poll of Customary Governance creating the Customary Government of the remnants of Biafra otherwise called the Customary Government and recognizing all Biafran Groups by a legal instrument is the intellectual property of the author and vision bearer, Barrister Emeka Emekesiri, in whom the patent right is vested and to whom the royalties for the patent right are due and payable.
- For the purpose of protection of the patent right, the Customary Arbitration Tribunal (CAT) shall not have jurisdiction to arbitrate or adjudicate on the infringements of the patent right by virtue of the exclusive provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in consequence whereof all actions, questions or issues pertaining to the infringement of the patent right shall be commenced and determined in the Federal High Court. 16 (Sgd) (Sgd) (Sgd) (Sgd) (Sgd)
- This DEED POLL is executed by us on behalf of and in our capacity as Solicitors for the natural persons described as Indigenous People of Biafra who sued in a representative capacity by Bilie Human Rights Initiative in Suit No FHC/OW/CS/192/2013 currently pending in the Federal High Court of Nigeria and duly endorsed and witnessed by their leaders as shown hereunder:
SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED: