Profile of new service chiefs
Irabor hails from Agbor in Delta State and is a member 34 Regular combatant of the Nigerian Army.
He is an alumnus of Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife and holds two Masters Degrees from the University of Ghana, Accra, and Bangladesh University of Professionals, Dhaka.
Before his appointment as the CDS, Irabor was Chief of Training and Operations, Defence headquarters.
The General was formerly the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole as well as Force Commander, Multinational Joint Task Force in the Lake Chad Basin Area. He is a distinguished awardee of several militaries, ECOMOG and United Nations Awards and Medals.
He hails from Kaduna North Local Government of Kaduna State and he was born in 1966.
Before his appointment, he was in charge of the 82 Division, Nigerian Army.
Attahiru replaced Irabor as Theatre Commander of Operation Lafia Dole in the North-East in 2017.
Chief Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao was born on September 14, 1965 at Enugu. He hails from Oshogbo Local Government Area of Osun State.
He enlisted into the Nigerian Air Force on January 19, 1984 as a member of 35th Nigerian Defence Academy Regular Course and was commissioned as Pilot Officer on December 20, 1986. He has the following academic qualifications: Master’s of Science in Defence and Strategic Studies from University of Madras India, Master of Military Science and Strategy and Advance Diploma in Defence and Strategy Studies from National Defence University China, Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy from Kaduna Polytechnic Nigeria, National Diploma in Freshwater and Fisheries Technology from Federal College of Freshwater and Fisheries Technology, New Bussa Nigeria and Nigerian Defence Academy Certificate of Education.
Air Vice Marshal Amao has attended the following courses:
- Primary Flying Training, at 301 Flying Training School Kaduna Nigeria.
- Basic Flying Training at 303 Flying Training School Kano Nigeria.
- Tactical Fighter Training at 99 Air Combat Training Group Kainji Nigeria.
- Instructor Pilot Course at 301 Flying Training School Kaduna Nigeria.
- Aircraft Accident Investigation in Civil Airline at Nigeria Civil Aviation Training School Zaria Nigeria.
Appointments held include,
- Deputy Defence Adviser (Air) at Nigerian High Commission London.
- Air Component Commander Operations ZAMALAFIYA and LAFIYA DOLE. (North East Nigeria Operation).
- Deputy Theatre Commander (Air) Operation LAFIYA DOLE.
- Air Officer Commanding Tactical Air Command Makurdi.
- Chief of Training and Operations Nigerian Air Force.
- Chief of Policy and Plans Nigerian Air Force.
- He is currently the Commandant Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Lagos.
The Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Awwal Gambo was born on April 22, 1966 and hails from Nasarawa LGA in Kano State.
He enlisted into the Nigeria Navy on September 24, 1984 as a member of Regular Course 36 and was commissioned Sub-Lieutenant on Sept 24, 1988.
He is an Underwater Warfare specialist with a subspecialisation in InteIIigence. The senior officer has attended several military courses which include; Sub-Technical course and Officers Long course both at NNS QUORRA.
He also attended Junior Division 48/99 and Senior Course 26 both at AFCSC Jaji. Other courses attended include the National Defence Course at the South African National Defence College. Until his appointment as the CNS, he was the Director of Procurement at the Defence Space Administration. The senior officer holds a PGD in Transport Management and a Master‘s degree in Transport Management (Logistics option) both from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. He is also a member of the Nigerian Institute of Management, Fellow of the Certified Institute of Shipping. Fellow of the Institute of Corporate Administration of Nigeria as well as a fellow of the National Defence College, South Africa.