On Wednesday, Mohammed Umar Abba was named the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission following the suspension of Abdulrasheed Bawa by President Bola Tinubu.
According to a statement issued by the director information office of the secretary to the government of the Federation Willie Bassey The Suspension follows weighty allegations of abuse of office levelled against him (Bawa).
The statement added that Bawa has been directed to immediately handover the affairs of his office to the Director, Operations in the Commission, who will oversee the affairs of the Office of the Chairman of the Commission pending the conclusion of the investigation.
Here are six things to know about the acting EFCC Chairman:
1. Mohammed Umar Abba was born on June 22, 1965, in Tudunwada Local Government Area of Kano State.
2. Abba bagged his first degree from Bayero University, Kano. He did his one-year national service at the old Anambra State Police Command and later got enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force. He attended the Nigeria Police Academy, Kaduna State, where he was commissioned in 1992.
3. CP Abba was seconded to the Commission in January 2016 to head the Counterterrorism and General Investigations, CTGI, Section at the Headquarters in Abuja.
4. He was appointed the Director of Operations of the Commission in 2017.
5. In 2019, he was promoted to the rank of Commissioner of Police.
6. On July 9, 2020, Abba stepped in as the Acting Chairman of the Commission, being the most senior operational officer when the former chairman, Ibrahim Magu, was suspended.