Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna state has described the proposed cash transfer policy of the Federal Government as a scam.
Gists9ja recalls President Bola Tinubu had earlier unveiled his administration’s plan to transfer a monthly sum of N8,000 to 12 million households for six months, in a bid to cushion the effects of the removal of fuel subsidy.
But days after the announcement and following backlash from Nigerians, the Federal Government said it will review the move following the public outcry it generated among Nigerians.
Speaking in an interview with Arise Television’s News Night on Friday, Governor Sani said, “My position has always been that, at this critical time, cash transfer should not be something that we should bring up, completely. I think that cash transfer for me, in my opinion, is a scam. Completely is a scam. I can be very certain about that, because who are you transferring the money to?
“Let me give an example, go and check the current statistics. Like I said, as the Chairman, Committee of Banking for four years in Nigeria, I oversight Central Bank, I oversight all the commercial sector of our economy for the last four years and I look at the statistics, I will be very firm on this issue and you can go and check it.
“About 70 to 75 percent of the rural population in North West are financially excluded completely. You will have to go and check, these people we are talking about are important people in the society. They do not even have a bank account so who are you transferring the money to?
“Let’s try and work very hard to make sure that they are financially included, that is the most important thing and I will like to call on our development partners, the World Bank, to put more money towards bringing more people into the financial services and the vulnerable in particular.
“Let’s put more money to ensure that we open accounts for them, get them involved, if we don’t do that, no matter what we do however you do it, money will go to the wrong people, that’s the fact.”