Saturday, August 22, 2026
Home Blog Page 5

FG Warns Petrol Marketers Against Profiteering, Pushes for Price Cut

ABUJA — The Federal Government has warned petroleum marketers against profiteering and called for an immediate reduction in pump prices, amid growing public frustration over fuel costs.

What the FG said
The government said current margins being charged by some marketers are “unjustifiable” given recent developments in supply and distribution. It urged depot owners and filling stations to reflect market realities and avoid actions that worsen hardship for Nigerians.

Officials stressed that government is working to stabilize supply and improve distribution networks. They warned that regulatory agencies will step up monitoring and sanctions against any operator found hoarding or arbitrarily hiking prices.

Market context
The warning comes as transport and food costs remain high, with many Nigerians still adjusting to deregulated fuel pricing. Last week, the Nigerian stock market saw heavy selloffs, with investors losing over ₦2.4 trillion amid broader economic concerns.

The three tiers of government received about ₦53.3 trillion from FAAC over the past three years, but states and citizens continue to feel pressure from inflation and cost of living.

What happens next
The FG said it will engage with the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, MOMAN, and the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, IPMAN, to ensure compliance. The Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, NMDPRA, is expected to begin market surveillance this week.

Marketers have not formally responded as of press time. Analysts say any price reduction would depend on forex stability, landing costs, and distribution margins.

BVI channel one

Senate: State Police Bill Reflects ‘National Consensus’, Not Politics

ABUJA — The Senate says the 2026 State Police Bill represents a broad national consensus and not political expediency, as debate over decentralized policing intensifies ahead of the 2027 general elections.

What the Senate said
Speaking at the weekend, the Senate maintained that the bill, which seeks to establish state police across the federation, is driven by the need to address Nigeria’s security challenges. Lawmakers argued that the legislation has the backing of most stakeholders and should not be dismissed as a political move.

Obi questions the speed
Peter Obi, the Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, has questioned the pace at which the bill is moving through the National Assembly. He called for wider consultations, warning against rushing a constitutional amendment of such magnitude without deep public engagement.

Why it’s trending now
The bill has resurfaced as a major talking point amid persistent security issues — from insurgency in the northeast to armed banditry in the northwest and separatist unrest in the southeast. Proponents argue that state police would bring security closer to communities and improve response times.

Critics, however, cite fears of abuse by state governors and the financial burden on states already struggling with allocations.

What’s next
The bill is part of ongoing constitutional amendment efforts. For it to become law, it must pass both chambers of the National Assembly and secure approval from at least 24 state Houses of Assembly.

The debate comes as parties gear up for 2027, with security and restructuring expected to be key campaign issues.

Tinubu Approves Sweeping NYSC Overhaul to Align Scheme With 2025 Economy

President Bola Tinubu has approved a comprehensive overhaul of the National Youth Service Corps, with the Federal Government saying the 52-year-old scheme must be redesigned to address unemployment, funding gaps, and manpower needs.

The reform plan moves away from the 1993 framework.

Key changes in the draft reforms include a three-tier system at national, state, and local levels, with decentralized funding to reduce reliance on federal allocations described as fragile and unsustainable. Corps members will be posted to priority areas including teaching, health, agriculture, the digital economy, climate resilience, and public infrastructure to match national manpower needs.

The plan also includes post-service credit access for entrepreneurs and skill acquisition programs, with the goal of producing job creators rather than only job seekers. A proposed ₦2 billion fund will finance digital systems, seed grants, and governance reforms.

An additional 50,000 graduates have been approved for 2026, bringing planned mobilisation to 418,000. The scheme now mobilizes about 400,000 corps members yearly, compared to 2,364 in 1973. The ₦77,000 monthly allowance is already in place, and the reforms will also tackle corps member rejection and welfare gaps.

Officials said the scheme cannot run on a 1993 framework in a 2025 economy and must be redesigned to be modern, fiscally sustainable, digitally enabled, and aligned with sectoral manpower needs.

Tinubu Overhauls Military Leadership in Sweeping Shake-Up

ABUJA — President Bola Tinubu on Friday announced a sweeping overhaul of Nigeria’s military leadership, appointing new service chiefs in a bid to strengthen the country’s security architecture amid persistent threats.

New Service Chiefs Named
The Presidency said all appointments take immediate effect. The changes are:

Chief of Defence Staff: General Olufemi Oluyede replaces General Christopher Musa
Chief of Army Staff: Major-General W. Shaibu
Chief of Air Staff: Air Vice Marshal S.K. Aneke
Chief of Naval Staff: Rear Admiral I. Abbas replaces Emmanuel Ogalla
Chief of Defence Intelligence: Major-General E.A.P. Undiendeye retains his position

Presidency: Move Aimed at ‘New Direction’
President Tinubu said the reshuffle was necessary to “further strengthen Nigeria’s national security architecture” in the face of evolving challenges. He thanked the outgoing chiefs for their “selfless service and dedicated leadership” and charged the new team to deepen professionalism, vigilance, and unity.

Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the action was to “inject new direction, energy, and focus” into the security sector, and dismissed claims that it was linked to coup rumours.

Security Context
The shake-up comes as Nigeria continues to battle Islamist insurgencies in the northeast, armed banditry in the northwest, and separatist unrest in the southeast. It is Tinubu’s second major security leadership overhaul since taking office in 2023.

Analysts say the changes reflect Tinubu’s push for intelligence-driven operations, better inter-agency coordination, and modernization of defence infrastructure. Retired officers described the timing as “timely” and consistent with two-year tenure rotations.

INEC, Political Parties Clash Over Election Portal Access Codes

ABUJA — The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and political parties are at odds over the issuance of access codes for the commission’s candidate nomination portal, raising concerns ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Party officials said yesterday that the process of obtaining the codes has been “not smooth,” and warned that delays could affect their ability to upload candidates’ particulars before INEC’s deadline.

The access codes are required for recognized political parties to log into INEC’s portal and submit the names, credentials, photographs, and affidavits of their candidates. Without the codes, parties cannot make any uploads.

Parties are urging INEC to open the process to all political parties without interference, saying every party must be allowed to participate fully in the nomination process.

INEC has not issued a detailed public response to the latest complaints as of press time. In previous election cycles, the commission said the portal and code system are designed to secure uploads and prevent duplicate or fraudulent entries.

Electoral analysts note that timely candidate uploads are a critical first step before primaries and final nominations. Delays or technical hitches at this stage have in the past led to disqualifications, court challenges, and last-minute substitutions.

The dispute comes as parties begin early preparations for 2027, with INEC expected to release the full election timetable in the coming months.

BREAKING: Tinubu Signs NIMC Act 2026 Into Law, Replaces 20-Year-Old Identity Framework

ABUJA — President Bola Tinubu on Friday signed the National Identity Management Commission Act 2026 into law at the State House, Abuja, marking a major overhaul of Nigeria’s digital identity system.

President Tinubu said the legislation replaces a nearly 20-year-old framework with a modern, fully digital identity infrastructure. The Act makes NIMC Nigeria’s Root Certification Authority for the National Public Key Infrastructure and Digital Public Infrastructure. According to the President, this means NIMC “holds the keys to trust in our digital economy: every digital signature, every secure transaction, and every verified identity”.

The law also aligns the country’s identity management system with the Nigerian Data Protection Act. Tinubu said personal information “cannot be accessed without your consent… cannot be used beyond the purpose for which you gave it”. The Act introduces a five-year jail term and other penalties for identity-related offences, and it reinforces the National Identification Number as the cornerstone of identity verification and the “One Person, One Identity” principle.

Tinubu said the law will position Nigeria’s identity system to support the $1 trillion economy ambition. Minister of Interior Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo said NIMC’s integrated database helped arrest 7 suspected Boko Haram and ISWAP commanders at Katsina Airport last week, and noted that passport and driver’s licence processing are now linked to NIMC data.

The signing was witnessed by Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu, AGF Lateef Fagbemi, and NIMC DG Abisoye Coker-Odusote. NIMC described it as a “landmark reform” to strengthen cybersecurity, data protection, financial inclusion, and digital transformation.

Sheathe Your Rancorous Swords Now For Biafra Interest- MASSOB

Press Statement

The Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) under the leadership of Comrade Uchenna Madu has cautioned our sister organization, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to stop this market dancing emanated from their internal rancour and misunderstanding.

Ordinarily, MASSOB would not have indulge in internal affair of another organization but because Biafra was involved, we are automatically magneted.

Your attacks and counter attacks, allegations and counter allegations are not useful or healthy to the self determination struggle for Biafra actualization and restoration.
IPOB like MASSOB is a big household name and service to the people of Biafra. Stop insulting and defacing it’s name.

MASSOB calls for peace and Biafran understanding in the leadership of IPOB as a big family, sheath your sword and work for peaceful resolution of all internal rancour.

MASSOB wishes to reiterate our position on the leadership of Biafra nation.
There is no official leadership title or attribute called “Supreme Leader” in Biafra land.
The leadership title called Supreme is an attribute that belongs to God Almighty only.
Any attempt or connivance or consenting to assume the Supreme leadership title is a direct challenge to God Almighty.

It will be recalled that on 29t June 2017, pro Biafra organizations under the umbrella of Biafra People National Council (BPNC) which MASSOB was involved declared Mazi Nnamdi Kanu as arrowhead of Biafra struggle. We did not crown him Supreme leader.

Comrade Edeson Samuel.
National Director of Information.
MASSOB.

Lokoja Judgment: An Unnecessary Serious Setback for Nigerian Democracy

Today was an exceptionally busy day. I left Lagos in the early hours for Emekuku, where I visited the School of Nursing Sciences, an institution I have consistently supported over the years. It was gratifying to inspect projects funded through my previous interventions, including the school’s computer laboratory. Such investments reaffirm my belief that education remains one of the strongest foundations for national development.

From there, I attended the 80th birthday celebration of the Emeritus Archbishop of Owerri, Most Rev. Dr Anthony Obinna, whose commitment to justice, peace, and the common good has inspired many, before proceeding to Madonna University for another engagement.

It was at Madonna University that I received the court news of the Lokoja court rulings through my brother, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

Every Nigerian committed to the country’s progress should be deeply concerned. This judgment represents another setback for our democracy and the institutions upon which our future depends.

It is regrettable that some who claim to champion democracy now appear determined to weaken the very institutions that sustain it. In doing so, they are undermining public confidence and endangering the future of millions of Nigerians.

The legislature and the judiciary are increasingly being drawn into this pattern of institutional decline. Democracy cannot thrive where institutions lose their independence and credibility.

Those who seek to weaken Nigeria’s democratic foundations will not ultimately prevail. When a similar situation recently affected the ADC, I condemned it without hesitation. I do so again today because my position has always been guided by principle.

My concern is not about who becomes President. My concern is that Nigeria works. Our politics must move beyond the quest for power and focus instead on building a united nation founded on justice, strong institutions, the rule of law, and equal opportunity. That is the Nigeria we owe ourselves and the one we must leave for future generations.

I therefore urge all well-meaning Nigerians to rise above partisan interests and defend our democracy. The survival of our institutions is inseparable from the survival of our nation. It’s when we work together that a new Nigeria of our dream is made POssible.

– PO

Court Nullifies NDC Registration, Orders INEC to Reverse Recognition

LOKOJA — A Federal High Court in Lokoja has set aside the judgment that ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission [INEC] to register the Nigeria Democratic Congress [NDC] as a political party, effectively nullifying the party’s recognition.

Justice Isah Dashen ruled on Friday that the Dec. 10, 2025 judgment was “constitutionally defective” because the Peace Movement Party [PMP] was not joined as a party to the suit, even though NDC’s registration was based on PMP’s logo.

The court ordered all parties to return to the position they occupied before the Dec. 10, 2025 judgment. As a result, every action INEC took in compliance with that order, including the issuance of a certificate of registration and recognition to NDC, has been reversed.

For now, NDC is not a recognised political party and cannot sponsor candidates for any election until it secures fresh approval from INEC.

The judge said the substantive suit remains pending. He vacated the earlier judgment to allow all affected parties to be heard and a fresh decision to be reached. NDC will have to restart the registration process.

NDC was registered in February 2026 following the Lokoja court order, even though it was not among the associations pre-qualified by INEC at the time.

This case is separate from the ongoing Court of Appeal matter challenging the deregistration of the African Democratic Congress [ADC], Accord Party and three others, which was adjourned to July 7.

Remi Tinubu Faces Backlash Over ‘Start Akara, Roasted Corn’ Comments Amid Economic Hardship

ABUJA — Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, is trending after urging Nigerians to consider small-scale businesses like selling akara, roasted corn, and kuli-kuli, saying they “don’t take a lot of money to start.”

Speaking to State House Correspondents on Wednesday after the Renewed Hope Initiative’s second-quarter meeting with wives of state governors, Mrs. Tinubu highlighted the administration’s grant interventions for vulnerable citizens.

> “We’re trying to give hope, and to start Akara business doesn’t take a lot of money. To start roasting corn, or somebody even said kuli kuli doesn’t take much. We didn’t give them a loan; we gave it to them as a grant.
>
> So we’ve encouraged Nigerians as best as we could. What is within our hands, I have given, and I keep giving,” she said.

She added that the Renewed Hope Initiative has also supported healthcare, agriculture, education, and social investment, citing N2bn donated to tackle tuberculosis, N1bn for breast cancer, and N500m for malnutrition. A video of the remarks was shared Friday by News Channel 247.

The comments immediately went viral on X, TikTok, and YouTube, with many describing them as “out of touch” with current economic realities. Users said the remarks ignore inflation, fuel prices, and rising cost of living. One post read: “exactly how disconnected Nigeria’s ruling class has become from the reality of ordinary citizens”. Another comment said: “nobody’s mocking akara. They’re mourning a government that seems to have no bigger answer than bean cakes”.

Some users pushed back, arguing that akara is “one of the most lucrative businesses in Nigeria” and that the grants provided were actual support, not loans.

The backlash comes months after Atiku Abubakar’s aide criticized Mrs. Tinubu’s N1.2bn rice palliative for the North, accusing her of “politicising hardship”.

The First Lady urged Nigerians not to lose hope despite economic challenges and said the initiative would continue supporting health, education, and agriculture.