A Bishop who was stabbed in Sydney in an attack reportedly motivated by religious extremism says he has forgiven his attacker.

The Assyrian church bishop who was stabbed during a service at his church in Sydney’s west has spoken out, revealing that he is recovering quickly and has already forgiven his attacker. This comes as police intensify their investigation into the riots that ensued following the bishop’s stabbing.

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel, the target of the stabbing at the Assyrian Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Sydney’s west, spoke out for the first time since the attack, conveying a message of forgiveness and resilience.

Posting an audio message on social media, he assured his followers of his quick recuperation and expressed forgiveness towards his assailant, and anyone associated with the act. “I forgive whoever has done this act … I will always pray for you and whoever sent you to do this, I forgive them as well,” he stated.

The attack on Bishop Emmanuel, deemed a terrorist act motivated by suspected religious extremism, has shaken the community, coming just days after a deadly knife rampage at a shopping center near Bondi beach.

A teenager has been arrested in connection with the assault on the bishop and remains under police guard in hospital.

The aftermath of the incident saw a surge of anger, with an enraged crowd clashing with emergency responders outside the church, demanding retribution against the suspected attacker.

New South Wales state Police Commissioner Karen Webb condemned the violence, revealing that a 19-year-old man, not affiliated with the church, has been charged in connection with his involvement in the riot.

People just came along to participate in a riot. That is disgraceful and disgusting,” Webb expressed during a news briefing.

In the midst of the investigations, efforts are being made to restore calm and order. Bishop Emmanuel urged his congregation to maintain composure and abide by the law.

Meanwhile, the Bondi mall, where a separate knife attack took place just days earlier, reopened to allow people to pay their respects to the victims. Stores remained closed, with a white floral tribute laid out on the second floor.

The local council mayor, Paula Masselos, expressed the community’s grief and highlighted the need for time to process the tragedy. A candlelight vigil is planned for Sunday, with flowers and bouquets already piling up at a makeshift memorial.


Source : Arise News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here